Pizza with Squash and Mushroom Caponata
Caponata is a classic Italian relish that we've used here with a fall touch. Filled with vegetables and sunshine, it will brighten up your pizzas and pasta dishes.
- Cooking: 55 min - 1 h
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 4 tsp (20 mL) red wine vinegar
- A few drops of pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) butternut squash in small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) mushrooms quartered
- 1 small red bell pepper in strips
- 1 onion minced
- 3 Italian tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) black kalamata olives pitted, cut in half
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) capers rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ball of pizza dough 1 lb (450 g)
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Canadian Parmesan grated
- 8 mini Canadian Bocconcini sliced
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and spread them over the baking sheet. Cook for 45 minutes and stir a few times while the mixture bakes.
Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
Place the racks at the bottom third and top third of the oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide the pizza dough in 4 and roll out into circles. Put 2 crusts on each baking sheet. Garnish with the following ingredients in order: the sauce, the Parmesan, the Caponata, and the slices of bocconcini.
Bake for approximately 12 minutes and switch the sheets halfway through to ensure uniform baking.
Get a head start: The caponata can be made 2 days in advance.
Practical tips: Replace the pizzas with 4 pieces of naan bread and reduce the baking time to 10 minutes.
Tips: To prepare the tomatoes, put them in boiling water for 1 minute and then plunge into ice water. The skin will come off easily. Cut the tomatoes in 4 and remove the seeds. Dice.
Replace the Canadian Bocconcini with shredded Canadian Mozzarella.
For a flavour twist: Add a few cubes of chorizo or pancetta before baking the pizzas.
Children can help too: Children can garnish their own pizzas.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||67 % / 734 mg|
|Vitamin C:||82 %|