This recipe is taken from the 1993 Milk Calendar. This is the Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 5 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Sauté onion and garlic. Cook, without browning 3 to 4 min. Add potatoes, chicken broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook, covered, 20 min or until potatoes are very tender.
Purée half of soup mixture. Return to the remaining soup in the pot. Add milk. Heat thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in Cheddar cheese. Cook gently just until it is melted.
Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.
For a creamy texture when making soups, use baking potatoes.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||27 % / 292 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||20 %|