A slow-simmered curry with mild spicing is just the thing to warm you up on a wintry day. Serve with warmed Naan bread and a crisp cucumber salad.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 4 h - 10 h
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) curry powder
- 2 lbs (1 Kg) boneless stewing beef cut into 1-inch (2 1/2 cm) pieces
- 8 potatoes cut into chunks (about 2 lbs/1 kg)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots shredded
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh gingerroot or 1 tsp (5 mL) ground gingerroot
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) reduced-sodium beef broth or 8 oz (250 g) green beans chopped (thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10 % cream
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- Chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- Coarsely chopped almonds or peanuts (optional)
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a 20 to 26-cup (5 to 6.5 L) slow cooker, combine flour and curry powder; add beef and toss to coat. Stir in potatoes, garlic, carrots and ginger. Whisk tomato paste into beef broth and pour over beef mixture.
Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Stir in green beans and cream, cover and cook on High for 15 minutes or until beans are tender-crisp. Season to taste with salt. Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt and sprinkle with coriander and almonds (if using).
To prepare the night before, you plan to cook it, assemble all ingredients in the slow cooker stoneware as directed in step 1 except the potatoes. In the morning, cut the potatoes and stir into beef mixture. Cook as directed.
For the Adventurous: Add 1 or 2 minced hot green chile peppers with the green beans for a hotter version and sprinkle each serving with a pinch of garam masala.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||17 % / 185 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||108 %|
|Vitamin B6:||89 %|