This is the Spicy Squash and Apple Soup recipe.
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 3 lb (1.5 Kg) acorn or butternut squash
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 2 apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 3-4 cups (750 mL to 1 L) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Pepper to taste
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Peel squash; cut in half and discard seeds. Cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks. This should yield about 6 cups (1.5 L). Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, cumin and nutmeg; cook a 4, 5 min until onion is soft.
Add apples, carrots, squash and 3 cups (750 mL) chicken stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 min or until vegetables are tender.
Purée in a food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan, stir in cream, coriander, salt and pepper. Thin with remaining chicken stock as necessary.
Drizzle with cream and garnish with fresh coriander.
Substitute 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1 to 2 mL) cayenne pepper for jalapeno in this hearty fall soup.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||7 % / 79 mg|
|Vitamin A:||51 %|
|Vitamin B6:||16 %|