Chef Jason Bangerter from Toronto, Ontario, created a sweet grilled cheese: Sweet Summer Night. The texture of pan-fried brioche is crispy on the outside and buttery in the inside: it is an instant brunch winner!
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 4 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) local strawberries thinly sliced
- splash of raspberry liqueur (optional)
- pinch of lemon rind grated
- pinch each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) Canadian Mascarpone
- 2 (2 cm) 3/4 inch thick slices of brioche bread
- 4 large basil leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter divided
- edible flowers (daisy, lavender, day lily, hyssop or nasturtium) and fine herbs (perilla, lemon balm, tarragon or verbena)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) macadamia nuts toasted
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) aged balsamic vinegar or vincotto
In a small bowl, toss berries with liqueur (if using), lemon rind, salt and pepper; let marinate 5 minutes.
Spread Mascarpone on one slice of bread. Top with basil leaves to cover, then with strawberries. Top with remaining slice of bread.
In a small skillet, heat half of the butter on medium heat. When the butter is melted and starting to brown, add the sandwich. Cook 2 minutes, turn over and add remaining butter. Cook 2 minutes or until golden brown. Slice in half. Garnish with strawberries, flowers, herbs, nuts and a small dish of vinegar for dipping.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||26 % / 284 mg|
|Vitamin C:||85 %|