By Anna Olson
This recipe from Anna Olson is perfect for busy people on the go. Yogurt holds the Indian spices and lends a citrus tang that suits the fish. Try it with our Cucumber Raita.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 15 min - 18 min
- Refrigeration: 1 h - 4 h
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) whole cumin seed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) whole coriander seed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) 6% plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated fresh ginger
- Four 3 1/2 oz (100 g) pieces fresh or frozen thawed cod
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
In small heavy skillet, toast cumin and coriander seeds over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant and slightly darkened, about 3 minutes. Set aside and let cool. Transfer to spice grinder or clean coffee grinder and grind. In a small bowl, combine ground cumin and coriander, paprika, sugar, salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne (if using). In a medium bowl, combine yogurt with the spice blend and stir in garlic, ginger and saffron.
Pat cod pieces dry; place in a lightly buttered 13 x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish. Divide yogurt mixture over each cod piece and spread to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Bake uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily when touched with a fork.
Pat frozen thawed fish pieces with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||12 % / 127 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||57 %|