This is the Veal and Mushroom Stew recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h 35 - 1 h 40
- 3 lb (1.5 Kg) stewing veal in 1 1/2-in (4 cm) pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) flour
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 onions coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) white wine or chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb (450 g) white mushrooms cut in half
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pat veal dry. Dust lightly with salt, pepper and flour. Heat oil in a Dutch oven and sauté veal cubes in batches, adding more oil if necessary.
Add butter to the pan and add onions. Cook a 3,4 minutes. Remove veal from pan.
Deglaze with white wine or chicken stock. Bring to a boil, scraping bottom of pan to mix in solidified juices on the bottom. Add veal. If necessary, add a bit of water or chicken stock so that liquid just covers veal. Add thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook gently 1 hr.
Add mushrooms and cream. Cook, uncovered, very gently 30 min longer until veal is tender and mixture is thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over pasta or rice and sprinkle with parsley.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||5 % / 50 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||65 %|