- Staying hydrated is essential to your health, and the hotter the weather and the more physical activity you do, the more water your body needs.
- Did you know that milk is an excellent alternative to stay hydrated? Add some frozen fruit or yogurt to it, for a refreshing smoothie the whole family will love.
- Below you’ll find a few simple smoothie ideas, perfect for staying hydrated and refreshed this summer!
Stay hydrated this summer
Hydration is extremely important for people of all ages. The body needs water in order to perform vital functions properly. In addition to consuming water-rich foods, such as fruits and vegetables, adults should drink between 2 to 3 litres of liquid per day, while young children should drink 1 litre. And when temperatures rise and physical activities abound, fluid needs increase to compensate for the water your body evacuates through perspiration.
Of course, we all know that water helps quench our thirst, but it isn’t the only option out there. Sugar-free sparkling water, herbal tea, and milk (which is composed of approximately 90% water), are all excellent alternatives to help satisfy our daily water needs. In fact, Health Canada’s Food Guide lists plain milk among the healthy beverage options we can choose from to stay hydrated. Plus, it offers 15 essential nutrients, such as calcium, vitamin D, and protein, which are all vital to growing children and teens.
This summer, nutritious and delicious smoothies will help you stay hydrated! All you need to do is blend together milk, yogurt, and frozen fruits, for a flavourful beverage you’re guaranteed to love. And we’re willing to bet that the whole family will ask for refills!
Let your imagination and creativity run free when it comes to trying new flavour combos: mixed berries, peaches and nectarines, raspberries and lemon zest, honeydew melon and apples, etc. For a little something extra, consider adding some grated ginger, chia seeds, unsweetened coconut, or fresh mint.
- So easy to make, the all-Canadian blueberry smoothie is the ideal snack between soccer games or after hiking.
- The original flavours found in our smoothies 3 ways will have your taste buds asking for more!
- Try freezing your smoothies in molds and enjoying them in popsicle form. Try this recipe for frozen smoothie pops for a nutritious and refreshing snack!