DFC National Standard for the Production of Milk from Grass-fed Cows

The DFC National Standard for the Production of Milk from Grass-Fed Cows is a voluntary program for the certification of milk produced from grass-fed cows in Canada.

The main difference between grass-fed and conventional milk is related to the level of forage in the diets the cows are fed. Under the Dairy Farmers of Canada standard, at least 75% of the total dry matter intake (DMI) of the lactating herd must consist of forage throughout the year. The remaining 25% of the diet is made up of grains and supplements, including corn silage, which ensures a balanced diet in terms of energy and nutrient requirements for optimal health and milk production. 

Dairy Farmers of Canada is piloting this national standard and certification process for grass-fed milk.  The results of the pilot will inform DFC of any areas for improvement including diet, efficacy of the biomarker testing and other program elements.

Information for Producers

 
Producers: How the program works
Download
 
Producers: Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more
 
View the DFC National Standard for the Production of Milk from Grass-fed Cows
Download

The program was developed in conjunction with provincial association members and external stakeholders. Participating provincial associations are responsible for administering transportation, sampling and testing of milk, logistics and pricing. CLICK HERE for contact information in each province.

Dairy Farmers of Canada has entered into agreements with the certification bodies, which are authorized to certify farms that meet, and continue to meet, the requirements set out in the DFC National Standard for the Production of Milk from Grass-Fed Cows. For more information contact:

Ecocert
Contact: Sophie Labonté
Program Coordinator
510, rue St-Onésime, Lévis (Quebec), Canada, G6V 5Z4
T 418-838-6941 Poste 126  - F 418-838-9823
sophie.labonte@ecocert.com - www.ecocert.com

For general enquiries, please email grassfedmilk@dfc-plc.ca.