This recipe is taken from the 2017 Milk Calendar. Updated with fresh fruit and reduced sugar, this mid-summer dessert makes the most of your seasonal berries while the apples add a contrasting bite. Serve with vanilla ice cream or lightly whipped cream.
- Prep: 30 min
- Baking Time: 30 min
- Fruit Filling
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 4 cups (1 L) quartered strawberries
- 2 cups (500 mL) raspberries or blueberries or a combination
- 2 apples peeled and cut into very thin wedges
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cold butter cut into small cubes
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a small bowl, stir sugar with cornstarch and cinnamon. Place berries, apples, finely grated zest from lemon and 2 tbsp (30 mL) juice into 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Gently stir with sugar mixture.
: In a measuring cup, stir milk with vinegar. Let stand 10 min. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk flour with sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; using fingers or pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly and you see bits of butter. Stir in milk mixture just until blended (it will not be smooth). Using a large spoon, dollop evenly over fruit. Fruit may still be showing. Bake 30 to 35 min or until topping is golden and fruit is bubbling. Let stand 10 min before serving.
When cutting butter into flour mixture, you should be able to see small bits of butter, some as big as the size of peas
If your kids are helping and a few berries or apples slices get eaten, no worries – the recipe will still turn out well.
Increase sugar in fruit mixture to ¾ cup (175 mL) and cornstarch to 2 tbsp (30 mL). Substitute 5 cups (1.25 L) coarsely chopped rhubarb for apples, raspberries and blueberries. Reduce strawberries to 3 cups (750 mL). Eliminate lemon juice and zest.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||7 % / 76 mg|
|Vitamin C:||58 %|